1. Welcome to IonCraft! Play with us today! Minecraft multiplayer server address: play.ioncraft.org
    Have a question? Sign in to our forums today! Or, click here to read our Frequently Asked Questions page!

To the Ioncraft Community...

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by LeaderJ, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 14 days old.
  1. LeaderJ

LeaderJ The Creator

• Staff / Owner
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 17 / -4
    Faction:
    REN
    Towny:
    Megaton
    Minecraft Username:
    ColonelJdog
    Dear Ioncraft,

I love you all. Through the good and the bad, you are my second family. I love meeting all of you, becoming friends, and running this amazing community -- a place where anyone is welcome (as long as you behave ;)). We've never been a relatively big community, peaking at around 40 players online on a very good day. But that's alright. The smaller to medium numbers have allowed us to get to know each other better, and that's what this community thrives on.

Just a heads up, I like to ramble on so this might get long, and may or may not seem relevant. Thank you ahead of time for those that read all the way through!

Some of you may or may not know a little about me. I'm currently a senior in high school in California. Before high school, I was a straight A student. I never got a B in my life, but towards the beginning of my freshman year, a lot of major changes happened in my family, and let's just say, I've been sort of been lost these past four years. I did the minimum work possible, and barely scraped by grade-wise. I had no goal to work towards. Ioncraft was my only escape. Now that senior year is half way over, I began to truly think about what I want to do with my life. My non-existent grades won't get me into any college, other than the local community college. My family has never had any kind of money, and that is the number one reason why my parent's marriage fell apart. I began to realize that I never want my future family to struggle financially like mine has my entire life, and I also realized that I enjoy helping people. I sort of pieced together that I want to become a doctor.

Going back to struggling financially part, student loans hanging over me for the rest of my life is the last thing I need. Yes, community college could be affordable if you're working a job or have some help, but after that, I have no where near $20,000/year just to pay for a Cal State public school, and definitely no where near the $35,000/year (in-state tuition) or upwards of $50-70,000/year for out-of-state tuition to pay for medical school. I considered my options, and realized that enlisting the U.S. Navy as a Hospital Corpsman could help me out greatly.

Reasons for Enlisting
    1. The Post 9/11 GI Bill and Active Duty Tuition Assistance - While I'm in the service, and stationed on shore duty (at a Naval base or hospital on land), I could go to the local community college and the government will pay for 100% of my tuition. I will be able to finish my Associates degree (the first two years of any college) while in active duty, completely paid for. When I get out, the Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay 100% of in-state tuition for 36 school months (generally, there are 9 school months in a year). This means that I should be able to finish my Bachelors degree in 18 school months, completely paid for 100%. After that, I still have 18 months left on the GI Bill to help with medical school, or I can go to the Navy and apply for the doctor program, which will pay 100% of my medical school tuition if accepted plus a bonus of a lot of money, as long as I become a doctor for the Navy for several years. This would be amazing and a dream come true.

2. Travelling. I will have the opportunity to travel and visit many ports around the world and USA.

3. Job experience. For those of you that don't know, Hospital Corpsmen are the Navy's medics. When I get out, I'll have 5 years of hands-on medical experience and military service. That should hopefully help me get accepted into medical school one day, and also help me find a job in the mean time.

4. Everything is paid for. I don't have to pay for rent, food, or transportation, and I get a salary.

The simple alternative would be going to community college, then state college, then medical school, and paying for it all out of pocket via student loans, and racking up $300,000 in student loans hanging over me for the rest of my life. That is not what I want.

Now, back to Ioncraft. I've come to the conclusion that, once I leave for the Navy, there is no way I can continue running Ioncraft. Many of you may not realize that running a community like ours takes a lot of time, whether its working on the website, fixing errors, upgrading software, fixing things for people, fixing bugs, managing donations, paying bills, talking to the players, keeping the server staffed with moderators, researching, dealing with crazy parents because their little angel stole their credit card to buy Elite, and so much more. I've realised that Ioncraft takes time, and if I want to make my dreams come true, I can't have the responsibilities of Ioncraft slowing me down.

When Ioncraft ends, I want it to be remembered the way I remember it: as a loving community of players from all parts of the world, who cared about each other and created a friendly environment for kids like myself to escape from their daily lives. I feel that if I were to pass on ownership of the server down the road, the server may not be maintained to the standards that I like to keep, and I wouldn't want to see Ioncraft end that way.

Most likely, I won't be shipping out for up to a year from now. For now, as long as enough donations come in to pay our bills, and you guys keep playing the server, I will maintain it until it comes time for me to say goodbye. I'm telling you all this ahead of time, maybe even a year ahead of time, because you guys are my family, and I want you to know what is going on in my life right now.

I will update you guys in the future, maybe around a month from now, when hopefully I receive my ship out date. Until then, thank you for reading, and I love you all. Please feel free to ask any questions.

LeaderJ

• Like Like x 2
  2. xXmuricaXx

xXmuricaXx Patron

• Patron
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    Kiri69
    Well I see it as your trying pursue your dreams in the best way you can. Im a junior in hs with bad grades and I want to become a graphic designer. I use ioncraft to escape from the reality that I have no friends irl, and this community had always been here for me. It's a shame that this has to end, but I support your decision. You need to do what you think is best. Good luck on becoming a doctor, leader.
    Yours truly
    xXmuricaXx~
    I <3 ioncraft!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HyperBlast

HyperBlast Damnmark

• Veteran
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +251 / 10 / -70
    Minecraft Username:
    Bowser1207
    Well, this is depressing. However, surely Mer or one of the older, more mature mods could take over when you're gone? I mean, obviously this is dependant on if they have time on their hands, but surely it could still work? We would obviously see some changes, but at least we would keep the community intact!
    But despite all this, I'm sad to see you leave, LJ.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. raptorzzr

raptorzzr Guest

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    raptorzzr
    well sir i wish you luck on your persue and hope to read from you again sometime , you are likelly to be sucsessfull if you belive in yourself . it really is sad that such an awsome community is going down but if that is what you must do , well i hope it is worth the cost

didn't really know you well but : your's raptorzzr

good luck :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tauriel

Tauriel CAPS SPAMMER

• Patron
    • Retired Staff
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +395 / 8 / -10
    Minecraft Username:
    guffincat
    Leader,
    Ioncraft has been such a wonderful community, and I've had a great time.
    But as always, sometimes life gets in the way.
    On behalf of Ioncraft, I wish you good luck in life, and for the future.
    You have been a great, supportive owner, and have created a brilliant community.

With pride to have been staff on this awesome server,
    Guffincat.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ror2

ror2 Moderator

• Staff / Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -16
    Faction:
    SCIA
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    dvid51524
    I'd be really sad if Ioncraft will end, I met lots of friends and I know if Ioncraft will not end, I'll meet more.
    You are the greatest, kindest, smartest owner I've ever met, you always fix and care about everything that happens. I haven't seen you much in my years of playing in Ioncraft, but I've seen you enough to know that you are all those things I said.
    I wish you luck as being a doctor or anything you'd like to be. I wish you luck in life in general.
    I hope someone like Mer or some of our most mature moderators, will keep Ioncraft going and not going down.
    You are the best.
    Yours ~dvid51524

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Bailey (nzane1216):2

Mike Bailey (nzane1216):2 ~Vinie~

• Patron
    Dallas, TX, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol,
    Ratings:
    +101 / 6 / -9
    Faction:
    idk
    Towny:
    Dogelin
    Minecraft Username:
    nzane1216
    Run Forest Run!!!!! Good luck!

8. LeaderJ

LeaderJ The Creator

• Staff / Owner
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 17 / -4
    Faction:
    REN
    Towny:
    Megaton
    Minecraft Username:
    ColonelJdog
    We still have a year or so (granted we still recieve donations and players) before anything is final. I may pass on ownership, or I may not. By biggest fears with passing on the torch:
    • The server might not be maintained the standard that I try my hardest to keep (this is not bash @MeRocks2000, who, without his help, I don't know where we'd be today).
    • If the server is still around, I'm afraid I'll have problems letting it go. I love this community so much. It's a hard thought. I feel selfish for closing down an entire community because I'd have problems detaching. Who knows, I may pass on ownership, or keep the forums open, or something. Either way, that is all a year from now.

9. Nightwing199

Nightwing199 Vampire

• Veteran
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +33 / 4 / -10
    Towny:
    DarkBarony
    Minecraft Username:
    FnS_Fiery
    I understand. I would be sad if Ioncraft closes but your right, running a server like this takes time and you will not have that time. I would hate to have you make a decision made on be part because it is tricky but I would probably hand over the server to mer when you ship out, he is an active, helpful, and friendly leader who would do well filling in your footprints.

10. JT900

JT900 Otaku of Ioncraft

• Patron
    • Architect
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +767 / 12 / -72
    Towny:
    JTowny
    Minecraft Username:
    JT900
    I remember the day I joined Ioncraft, such a fun and interesting place you made out of it from then to now. I would hate to see it die in your absence since this is the one server that I love to visit (apart from the zombie survival server I play on sometimes, but that's for zombie killing adventure purposes). I hope you have a good life with your future family you would make and enjoy your doctor career you'll get as well.
    We're all rooting for you Leader! Good luck in your endeavors!
    ~OtakuJT

• Like Like x 2
  11. Elykius

Elykius Community Leader

• Staff / Admin
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,293 / 21 / -25
    Faction:
    VRAM
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Elykius
    Well, I knew this day would come. Good luck in your future Jordan. Thank you for creating the best server I have ever played on. I hope this coming year will be awesome! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. LeaderJ

LeaderJ The Creator

• Staff / Owner
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 17 / -4
    Faction:
    REN
    Towny:
    Megaton
    Minecraft Username:
    ColonelJdog
    Whatever happens, one thing is for sure: once I ship out, all of my focus goes towards my future and I won't be able to manage any part of the server, aside from maybe billing (which would be automatically charged to my credit card, so it wouldn't be much work). If Mer is willing to take on all of those responsibilities, then that could work out and Ioncraft could live on (Mer is still "young" so I assume he wouldn't be having any drastic lifestyle changes like I am anytime soon). I have truly been passing more and more responsibility to him these past few months. He basically runs the server as is, fixing a majority of bugs. So, I think he would be up to the challenge, but I can't speak for him.

Either way, I don't want Ioncraft to wither and die out overtime. I'd rather it go out in a blaze of glory. Obviously, when I leave, I would no longer really have a say in that.

Again, I might be able to handle the billing & donations, and check in every now and then. It's just sort of scary and weird to think of me getting back on when I have some down time, and not fixing things or working on the server. Overall though, studying and work will take top priority. So yeah, Ioncraft might not have to die, but if it starts going to hill when I'm gone, I would rather end it than see it suffer.

13. verslm

verslm Veteran

• Architect
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +428 / 7 / -11
    Minecraft Username:
    PacosTacos172
    It's sad and all that you may have to pass on the torch, but joining the military is really awesome and bold of you. Personally, I would join marines or the Air Force.

14. Dr_prof_Luigi

Dr_prof_Luigi Just somebody that you used to know

• Retired Staff
    • Elite
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -9
    Faction:
    STRK
    Towny:
    BlackThorne
    Minecraft Username:
    Dr_prof_Luigi
    I have a high respect of you. I could never join the military, so I think you have a lot of courage to do so. I wish you luck on your endeavors and hope your life falls into place. I believe passing the torch to mer would be a good idea if you want to keep this community alive.

May your future be all you want it to be.

15. LeaderJ

LeaderJ The Creator

• Staff / Owner
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 17 / -4
    Faction:
    REN
    Towny:
    Megaton
    Minecraft Username:
    ColonelJdog
    I want to become a Hospital Corpsman (medic). The Marines are actually part of the Navy, and corpsmen can be assigned to a Marine batallion ("greenside") or a Navy hospital/clinic/ship ("blueside"). There is a pretty decent chance I will be serving with the Marines.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dragon_Flamingo

Dragon_Flamingo Aye, Amiga.

• Retired Staff
    • Elite
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -2
    Towny:
    Aviolym
    Minecraft Username:
    Dragon_Flamingo
    In a sense, Ion has served its purpose in our lives. It has brought us closer together as a community, we have found and made new friends that could only have been found on a server like this one.
    Passing on the responsibility, how nice it may seem and all, is only going to make saying goodbye even harder for us all later. Its like when you have a sick pet, and how much you may not want to put it down, you have to think about what's best for the animal, as well as yourself. Prolonging its death is only going to cause more stress on yourself, and put more pain on the animal, which would then die in pain rather than comfort if you get what I am trying to say ahah.
    My point is, its often better to let go of something knowing that its going to be ok, versus letting go when you cant hold onto it any longer. How sad it is, Ion cant last forever, no matter how much we try to hold on eventually we are all going to grow up and move onto other things in our lives.
    God's got a plan for all of us; I think its best that we keep this in mind. u v u

• Like Like x 1
  17. LeaderJ

LeaderJ The Creator

• Staff / Owner
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 17 / -4
    Faction:
    REN
    Towny:
    Megaton
    Minecraft Username:
    ColonelJdog
    This was my thinking really. I'd rather it end on a high note, then slowly fade into nothing you know? I don't know. It's a tough decision, but we still have a year to figure out the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. verslm

verslm Veteran

• Architect
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +428 / 7 / -11
    Minecraft Username:
    PacosTacos172
    We could get a group like GNUK to end the server off w/ a bang

19. proskiibroskii (nikki)

proskiibroskii (nikki) Master

• Master
    • Architect
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1
    Minecraft Username:
    proskiibroskii
    ik alot of people who r in the navy trust me ull love it and ull get ripped xD

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bman116

Bman116 NOT Batman

• Elite
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Towny:
    Minecraftia
    Minecraft Username:
    Bman116
    I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, LJ. I pray you'll be safe while you're deployed. Also, thank you so much for wanting to serve this country. It's a huge honor. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 14 days old.