1. Welcome to IonCraft! Play with us today! Minecraft multiplayer server address: play.ioncraft.org
    Have a question? Sign in to our forums today! Or, click here to read our Frequently Asked Questions page!

[Dec 9, 2015] Official IonCraft Building Contest #23 (IonCraft Plotworld)

Discussion in 'Events' started by Elykius, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 14 days old.
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
Official IonCraft Building Contest #23
IonCraft Plotworld
Confirmed Attendees: 3
Posted By: Elykius
Start Date: Dec 9, 2015 07:00 PM
End Date: Dec 23, 2015 07:00 PM
Time Zone: America/New_York -05:00 EST
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 3
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Elykius

Elykius Community Leader

• Staff / Admin
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,297 / 21 / -25
    Faction:
    VRAM
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Elykius
    Official IonCraft Building Contest #23
    December 9, 2015 - December 23, 2015
    Theme: Snow Forts
    Hello IonCraft!
    Welcome to the twenty-third official server-sponsored building contest! This contest's theme is Snow Forts! Please be sure to read all of the Rules & Guidelines before submitting your entry.

Rules & Guidelines
    • No plagiarism. You may not copy someone else's design, or base your build off of someone else's design. Doing so is an automatic disqualification.
    • This event is a single-player event. You may not receive any help from any other players!
    • You may not submit builds in any other world except Creative Plotworld.
    • You may not submit builds that have been created before the contest start date.
    • You may not use more than one plot.
    • You may not use WorldEdit in any way.
    • You may not modify your build in any way after you've submitted it to the contest.
    • You must be a Citizen or higher to participate.
    Judges
    After all entries are submitted, each judge will rate each build on a scale of 1-10 with a score of 10 being absolutely amazing and follows the theme perfectly, and a score of 1 being extremely low quality build that does not follow the theme. After each judge has scored each submission, the total points for the submission will be added together to determine the final score. The highest score being 30, and the lowest score being 3.

To teleport to a plot in-game, type /p tp ID

This contest's judges: Susiron, XNeonXylenX, and SomeGuySurviving

How to Enter!
    After you've completed your final, finished version of your Snow Fort build, copy and paste the following form in a reply to this thread below. All questions are required.

The PLOT ID is found by typing /p info while standing on your plot in-game. Example Plot ID: 1;-1

Minecraft Username:
    Plot ID:
    Build Description:
    Screenshots (optional):

Current Submissions
    Spartan1_0_1 (open)

Minecraft Username: Spartan1_0_1
    Plot ID: 5;-10
    Description: A winter snowball fight scene
    Jokeachu (open)
    Minecraft Username: Jokeachu
    Plot ID: -6:11 (also accessible by /warp snowjoke)
    Build Description: A snow fortress surrounded by a bridge, a Christmas tree, a snowman, a frozen river, a coffee stand, and a communal ice rink.
    Screenshots (optional): Normally I would prefer to add screenshots, but I want you to see this one for yourself.
    garchomp445 (open)
    Minecraft Username: garchomp445

Plot ID: -9;6

Build Description: The city state of Valencia, a formerly proud, but snowy region. Their primary crop was the mushrooms scattered throughout the local spruce forest, and most of the reason that the Valencian monarch still had much power throughout the region. Adding to that was the mighty stone fortress atop a nearby mountain, with its powerful cannons aiming in all directions, and indomitable commander to make certain that the defensive line would never falter. During one particularly cold winter, the heir to the Valencian throne met with the fortress's commander, and the two fell deeply in love. This could not have been more disastrous for the Valencia's monarch, as the city state was being threatened by many larger independent states and countries for its land and easy access to an important river. The commander and the heir decided to keep their relationship a secret from the monarch, even as suitors came and went through the Valencian manor, and the commander put forth a plan for the interior of the mountain. The heir enjoyed ice skating and figure skating, but had not been able to do either with the commander. With this in mind, the commander researched powerful ice magic to carve out the mountain, and surprise the heir with an ice rink below the fortress. The heir found out, and although the commander was disappointed, practicing ice magic together was more fun than they could've anticipated. They froze the inside of the commander's mountain, formed an ice rink, and constructed an elegant ice ballroom. They wished to host a magnificent ball, and invited everyone who they thought could keep a secret. Still, the monarch's chief adviser found out, and the confrontation dealing with this information did not proceed well. In a fit of rage, the monarch revealed that the Valencian royal family was naturally gifted in ice magic by freezing the commander's entire fortress, turning it from a warm and defensible symbol of power to a brittle and frigid death trap, freezing everyone inside to death. Having slaughtered a great friend, tens of citizens, and the only Valencian child, the monarch collapsed into grief. Ice magic exploded from the grieving monarch, destroying the throne room and half of Valencia's palace in an eruption of ice. It tore from the ground into the sky, and snow poured out to form thick layers across the land. There were few survivors outside of the Valencian manor, and those who did survive fled to other, more stable regions.

tl;dr: It's an icy fortress with an ice rink below it, and a snowy manor with an ice spire behind it, surrounded by a forest.

Screenshots (optional):
    The formerly mighty city state of Valencia:
    . [​IMG]
    The ice spire's entrance is guarded by a massive snowflake:
    [​IMG]
    The fortress's own ice rink is lit by the last of the heir's magic:
    [​IMG]
    ...:
    [​IMG]
    Carziel (open)

Minecraft Username: Carziel
    Plot ID: -5;-10
    Build Description: It's a snow fort, built mainly from snow and ice, with a little stone here and there. If there's a thaw, the owner will be in for a big surprise and a lot of soggy clothing. Even the moat is frozen (though it didn't start that way, honest). The inside is furnished, and I have set flags to allow people to shoot the snow cannons on the walls, the fireworks launchers on the roof, and even look into chests to see that there's stuff in there (like a real, lived in fort) to prove the detailing. You should also be able to open and close doors. I had another player test the flags, and it appears I did it right. So, have fun shooting the cannons. I even provided refills in the big chests. If you get too cold, warm yourself at the outdoor fire pits or head downstairs to the hot spring pools. There's a lot to see, since the fort comprises several levels, with four wall towers and five main building towers.
    ValveComplete (open)

Minecraft Username: ValveComplete
    Plot ID: -7;10
    Description: A northern border of some sort, built into a natural boundary to help stem enemy advances, all made possible by the Alderton Corporation.

Contest ends December 23, 2015 at 7:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

Prize
    The winner will receive an exclusive Golden Asterisk added to their in-game rank, as well as the exclusive "Contest Winner" banner on the forums! Additionally, Contest Winners will receive the ability to create unlimited plots in the Plotworld, and earn a place on the Plotworld spawn walls forever!

Goodluck and have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Susiron

Susiron Legend

• Legend
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    Susiron
    I'm going to sit out for this contest, but I'd love to judge if I can! C:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Elykius

Elykius Community Leader

• Staff / Admin
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,297 / 21 / -25
    Faction:
    VRAM
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Elykius
    I am sure that will bring many people's hopes up :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. tankharris606

tankharris606 Cancer. Snake. Rat. Coords leaker.

• Patron
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +13 / 3 / -3
    Faction:
    LMAO
    Towny:
    TankiesIsland
    Minecraft Username:
    tankharris
    You would get smashed by me anyways!!!! I doing it this time!!

5. epictrex

epictrex Your Casual Fox

• Veteran
    • Custom
    In the desert wishing to be in a cold snowy place
    Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -7
    Minecraft Username:
    epictrex
    Hmm... debating on if I should become active for this.......

6. NorstWitherSlayer

NorstWitherSlayer Custom

• Architect
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 48 / -227
    Faction:
    Mine
    Towny:
    Abanerthy
    Minecraft Username:
    Norst33
    It could be cool. :)

7. Kittykittylily

Kittykittylily Citizen

• Citizen
    Ratings:
    +65 / 4 / -5
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Spartan1_0_1
    Minecraft Username: Spartan1_0_1
    Plot ID: 5;-10
    Description: A winter snowball fight scene

8. NorstWitherSlayer

NorstWitherSlayer Custom

• Architect
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 48 / -227
    Faction:
    Mine
    Towny:
    Abanerthy
    Minecraft Username:
    Norst33
    Imma rate it 0 out of 10.

Mean? What do you mean?

:p

9. Belgarath135

Belgarath135 Master of Swagg

• Patron
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -5
    Minecraft Username:
    Gaelthra
    Hahaha I wasn't able to start my build until the 20th due to studying for finals. I will probably not be able to finish. RIP! But good luck to those of you contending, hopefully your luck will be better then mine! :D

10. Jokeachu

Jokeachu High Lord Fangblood

• Architect
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +33 / 2 / -1
    Faction:
    FANG
    Towny:
    Flaristitia
    Minecraft Username:
    Jokeachu
    Minecraft Username: Jokeachu
    Plot ID: -6:11 (also accessible by /warp snowjoke)
    Build Description: A snow fortress surrounded by a bridge, a Christmas tree, a snowman, a frozen river, a coffee stand, and a communal ice rink.
    Screenshots (optional): Normally I would prefer to add screenshots, but I want you to see this one for yourself.

11. Garchomp445

Garchomp445 VIP

• VIP
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    garchomp445
    Minecraft Username: garchomp445

Plot ID: -9;6

Build Description: The city state of Valencia, a formerly proud, but snowy region. Their primary crop was the mushrooms scattered throughout the local spruce forest, and most of the reason that the Valencian monarch still had much power throughout the region. Adding to that was the mighty stone fortress atop a nearby mountain, with its powerful cannons aiming in all directions, and indomitable commander to make certain that the defensive line would never falter. During one particularly cold winter, the heir to the Valencian throne met with the fortress's commander, and the two fell deeply in love. This could not have been more disastrous for the Valencia's monarch, as the city state was being threatened by many larger independent states and countries for its land and easy access to an important river. The commander and the heir decided to keep their relationship a secret from the monarch, even as suitors came and went through the Valencian manor, and the commander put forth a plan for the interior of the mountain. The heir enjoyed ice skating and figure skating, but had not been able to do either with the commander. With this in mind, the commander researched powerful ice magic to carve out the mountain, and surprise the heir with an ice rink below the fortress. The heir found out, and although the commander was disappointed, practicing ice magic together was more fun than they could've anticipated. They froze the inside of the commander's mountain, formed an ice rink, and constructed an elegant ice ballroom. They wished to host a magnificent ball, and invited everyone who they thought could keep a secret. Still, the monarch's chief adviser found out, and the confrontation dealing with this information did not proceed well. In a fit of rage, the monarch revealed that the Valencian royal family was naturally gifted in ice magic by freezing the commander's entire fortress, turning it from a warm and defensible symbol of power to a brittle and frigid death trap, freezing everyone inside to death. Having slaughtered a great friend, tens of citizens, and the only Valencian child, the monarch collapsed into grief. Ice magic exploded from the grieving monarch, destroying the throne room and half of Valencia's palace in an eruption of ice. It tore from the ground into the sky, and snow poured out to form thick layers across the land. There were few survivors outside of the Valencian manor, and those who did survive fled to other, more stable regions.

tl;dr: It's an icy fortress with an ice rink below it, and a snowy manor with an ice spire behind it, surrounded by a forest.

Screenshots (optional):
    The formerly mighty city state of Valencia:
    . 2015-12-21_16.16.19 - Copy.png
    The ice spire's entrance is guarded by a massive snowflake:
    2015-12-21_16.18.48 - Copy.png
    The fortress's own ice rink is lit by the last of the heir's magic:
    2015-12-21_16.14.33 - Copy.png
    ...:
    2015-12-21_19.55.52 - Copy.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  12. Carziel

Carziel Moderator

• Staff / Moderator
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    Carziel
    Minecraft Username: Carziel
    Plot ID: -5;-10
    Build Description: It's a snow fort, built mainly from snow and ice, with a little stone here and there. If there's a thaw, the owner will be in for a big surprise and a lot of soggy clothing. Even the moat is frozen (though it didn't start that way, honest). The inside is furnished, and I have set flags to allow people to shoot the snow cannons on the walls, the fireworks launchers on the roof, and even look into chests to see that there's stuff in there (like a real, lived in fort) to prove the detailing. You should also be able to open and close doors. I had another player test the flags, and it appears I did it right. So, have fun shooting the cannons. I even provided refills in the big chests. If you get too cold, warm yourself at the outdoor fire pits or head downstairs to the hot spring pools. There's a lot to see, since the fort comprises several levels, with four wall towers and five main building towers.

13. Captain JDAM

Captain JDAM Elite

• Elite
    • Architect
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    ValveComplete
    Minecraft Username: ValveComplete
    Plot ID: -7;10
    Description: A northern border of some sort, built into a natural boundary to help stem enemy advances, all made possible by the Alderton Corporation.

14. Garchomp445

Garchomp445 VIP

• VIP
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    garchomp445
    *Alderton Riftworks

15. Elykius

Elykius Community Leader

• Staff / Admin
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,297 / 21 / -25
    Faction:
    VRAM
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Elykius
    This contest will no longer be accepting submissions. The judges are Susiron, XNeonXylenX, and SomeGuySurviving.

16. SomeGuySurviving

SomeGuySurviving Elite

• Elite
    • Veteran
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    SomeGuySurviving
    Spartan1_0_1 Plot ID: -5;-10

Rating: 6/10

Reason: I like the idea of it, but for your build you could add a lot more to the build. For example, the landscape.

Jokeachu Plot ID: -6:11

Rating: 6/10

Reason: I like actually snow fortress, but for the landscape it is very flat and you could add more detail to it.

Garchomp445 Plot ID: -9;6

Rating: 9/10

Reason: The landscape of the build has lots of detail, but the interior of the snow fortress lacks detail.

Carziel Plot ID: -5;-10

Rating: 10/10

Reason: You went straight away to the snow fortress and put a great amount of detail to it.

ValveComplete Plot ID: -7;10

Rating: 7/10

Reason: I like the idea of a military snow fortress type thing. You put lots of detail to the weapons and war machines, but you could of added more to the interior and exterior of the build.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  17. Susiron

Susiron Legend

• Legend
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Minecraft Username:
    Susiron
    Spartan1_0_1_1 - 5/10
    I like the circular design of your forts, and I especially like the moat of ice around the largest fort. I also like that your build shows a scene with multiple use of forts.
    Unfortunately, the build seems very empty. You have several different constructs on the plot, but they feel disjointed due to the amount of negative space between them. More terraforming, or larger forts that filled the space better would have improved your build significantly.

Jokeachu - 5/10
    I really like the design of your fort-- especially the ceiling. The mottled use of both regular and packed ice in the windows looks very nice. Similarly to Spartan's build, though, I feel that the space on the plot could have been better used. If the interior of the fort was very intricate (perhaps going underground to an extent, allowing for more levels and rooms) the empty space around the fort would add to the look, but since the interior of the fort is barren, the outside of the plot looks too similar.

Garchomp445 - 9/10
    I had a lot of fun wandering around your build! There's a lot to see and explore, and I can tell that a lot of time went into this build. Your build is quite creative, and the wide use of terraforming makes me happy. I really got a sense of cold from walking around your plot, which is what I like to feel in a build centered around snow and ice. The only real criticism I have with your build, however, is that some more block diversity would have been nice (such as more ores in the stone or patches of dirt instead of grass in places). The exterior of the wooden house could also have looked nicer, though the broken portion of the house looks neat. An overlapping roof and more variety with the block shapes used to make the outlying wall of the house would really help it pop. Different types of blocks do help diversify things, but a diversity of shapes really pops.

Carziel - 9.9/10
    Your build looks beautiful. It's imposing, well-constructed, and truly encompasses the theme "snow fort" in every shape and form. Part of me wishes that the build had a little less symmetry to it (which is the only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect 10/10), but something about the symmetry also makes it seem more intimidating-- as if a very meticulous wizard built it up out of thin air. My favorite part of the build is how it looks from afar, especially with those beautiful flags.

ValveComplete - 8.5/10
    My favorite part about your build is how intimidating the stone mountain feels after the flat landscape before it. The merge of natural stone with the modern base is also really interesting and cool to look at, especially with the occasional mark of a hit target. I would rank the build higher, but a few technical things throw me off. While the interior of the base is cool, it feels disjointed from the outer build. A lack of snow on and below the lift throws me off, but mostly it is the back of the base that does. I know that the base cuts off suddenly into open air due to space constraints, but I feel that the interior of your base would have been stronger if the space was at least enclosed in some way. A solid wall would have also let the lighting inside the base stand out more. As is, the direct sunlight flooding into the base makes it seem like it's sitting out in the open, rather than hidden in the depths of an imposing mountain.

(EDIT: upped Garchomp's score by .5 after wandering around their plot one last time).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  18. Wyverner

Wyverner If we don't take risks we can't create a future

• Patron
    • Architect Judge
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    Faction:
    Onyx
    Minecraft Username:
    XNeonXylenX
    Username:Spartan1_0_1
    Plot rating: 1/10
    reason: Too barren(Empty) Not much structure and details added to the build

Username:Jokeachu
    Plot rating: 3/10
    reason: plot is way too empty the build has no interior of any sort therefore.

Username:garchomp445
    Plot rating: 5/10
    reason: if you had added more interior to the wooden hut and the snow elevator the rating would be higher other than that good job

Username:Carziel
    Plot rating: 4/10
    reason: it looks more of a snow castle than a snow fort.

Username:Valvecomplete
    Plot rating: 5/10
    reason: it looks good but if you had added maybe an underground it would look even more better.

19. Elykius

Elykius Community Leader

• Staff / Admin
    • Contest Winner
    • Architect
    • Super Moderator
    • Veteran
    • Architect Judge
    • Custom
    Ratings:
    +1,297 / 21 / -25
    Faction:
    VRAM
    Towny:
    Frostaria
    Minecraft Username:
    Elykius
    The final scores are as follows:
    Spartan1_0_1: 12/30
    Jokeachu: 14/30
    garchomp445: 23/30
    Carziel: 23.9/30
    ValveComplete: 20.5/30
    Congratulations Carziel on your first contest win!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This thread is more than 14 days old.